Growing your own vegetable garden in your backyard is not just therapeutic but can also be aesthetically pleasing and relaxing. Aside from these, it also saves you money as you are growing your own food and eating fresh supply of vegetables, fruits, and herbs than you can use every day.
Before starting your own garden, you must look for tips and ways on how to design it and make it pleasing to the eyes. Sometimes, vegetable gardens could be quite messy, especially when they are not organized properly. Below are some ways to beautify your backyard and make your vegetable garden as productive and as pleasing as you wish.
- Make a layout of the places where you want to put your plants. You must ensure that you have the perfect spot to put your vegetable garden so that all your harvest will be healthy. Pick a spot that receives direct sunlight and a spot where the soil could support your plant’s growth.
- When the soil in your backyard does not have excellent quality, you can make your own vegetable bed. Raised garden beds are a nice alternative to planting in your backyard. It helps with better drainage, and it helps the soil to warm up faster during the spring. In addition to that, raised beds are easy to build. You will only need some wood and the proper tools to create a nice vegetable bed. However, if you are not so much of a handyman, you can also purchase your raised garden beds.
- Arrange your beds in rows with different shapes and patterns. With this, your garden will look organized and will be pleasing to the eyes of people. Position your garden beds depending on the type of plant it has. For example, you need to put your tender plants on the side where it can receive direct sunlight. On the other hand, sprawling plants are placed near the edge of the beds so that they would not cover and trap their neighboring plants. Climbing plants like beans should be put on an area where they can’t shade vegetables in the low ground. Regularly harvested plants such as herbs, spices, and salads that do not need crop rotations should be placed in an area near the kitchen. Plants that require pollination and companion should be planted in blocks and are need to be placed together. Plants that need constant watering must be grouped and placed in a damp area or somewhere that has an excellent supply of water irrigation.
- Protect your plants from animals and pests. Enclose your plants with wood fences and chicken wires so that the visiting animals will not harvest them.
- It is also a good idea to put landscaping rocks and colorful flowers in your garden. Rocks lessen the dirt from the soil, which makes your vegetable garden look very clean and organized. Installing a pathway between your raised vegetable beds also adds spice to your garden. Stones, gravels, or even some wood can serve as your pathway you can walk in between your beds of plants.
- You can also reuse your containers for gardening. Stacking your boxes is also a great way to utilize the spaces in your garden. These things are not just for more storage, but they can be pleasant to people’s eyes.
- It is also essential that you mulch your vegetable garden. A layer of mulch on the soil’s surface will help conserve your soil moisture, especially during sweltering and dry weather. Mulching also stops weeds from growing in your vegetable garden. Also, when you have a layer of mulch on your soil, you can avoid soil-borne diseases from infecting your plant leaves since the soil has a cover making it impossible for the soil-borne diseases to splash up to the plants.
- Plant different varieties of plants. Vegetables also have different colors that would add more life to your garden, making it prettier and more colorful. You can divide your garden by similar shades of vegetables. Plants that come in the shades of red, orange, and yellow could come together to make the garden more vibrant. Plants in the colors purple and green would also look nice together because they add a little contrast to the garden.
Add a nice looking entrance and beautiful ornaments to your vegetable garden. You can put a gate in your vegetable garden, which will serve as a grand entrance to your colorful and cozy garden. A gate painted in white and covered with some vines and flowers would seal the deal. Ornaments could also add spice to your vegetable garden. Statues, birdhouses, and many other ornaments depending on your taste will beautify your vegetable garden.a